Of Haggis & Nessie

The chronicles of disorientation amongst the scottish brogue

Friday, June 02, 2006

You're kidding me, right?!?

OK, I have 10 minutes before the library closes (i.e. the last time I can use the internet with any certainty).

Passed the evaluation form to my supervisor today, with some trepidation. That man's gotta be kidding me! Overall A grade? "Highly motivated & enthusiastic", he said. Yeah right .. so enthusiastic that today, I actually strode right into theatre wearing street shoes! We were halfway through the operation when my boss looked at my shoes, and then I realised - SHIT. Ran right out and changed into OT boots. Anyway, PHEW. Glad that it's all over!!

Oh, and today's operations were the grossest EVER.

Q: When do you go for an eye surgery, and wake up with a painful mouth full of blood??
A: When the doctor sliced out pieces of your mouth's mucous lining to put INTO your eyes.

Yeah, saw a mucosal graft followed by an amniotic membrane graft in a patient with alkaline burns to the eye. It really looked extremely grotesque. After he sewed the buccal tissue onto the sclera, the entire eye looked like it's swollen - like in severe chemosis. And after that, he put some amniotic membrane (yes, the thing that babies are surrounded with in the womb) onto the entire eye. EWWW.

Alright, just a couple more photos before the start real ulu-ness.

HPIM0189
One of the 3 swans in the pond near the hospital.

HPIM0191
AH. My search for sundews led me to this lovely wood of Rhododendrons near the hall. =) It's oddly romantic to stroll here alone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home