Of Haggis & Nessie

The chronicles of disorientation amongst the scottish brogue

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Sad

Feeling a little sad today. It's 2.45am, and I just woke up. Yes, unearthly hours. Made a dinner of boiled potatoes, turkey ham sandwiches and pasta with beef bolognaise. I think the dinner was too much, that's why I fell asleep after that at around 7.30pm. Got to get up to read some stuff before going to school today. Sigh .. going to join clinics in the morning, then OT in the afternoon. I'm not too keen about OT (never have been) - it's not productive spending time there.

********************

Today's breakfast was excellent, and saved my ass in hospital today. Had black pudding (which became exceedingly gross after I found out what it was), scrambled eggs, hash browns, sausages, bacon, yoghurt and orange juice. Ended clinics and went down to the OT reception at 12.40pm, only to find out that the first procedure starts at 1pm!! OMG. Only had 10 minutes to eat, so I bought cream of chicken soup in a styrofoam cup to fill up in the meantime. Baaaad idea. It was so hot, I could only finish 10% of it before I rushed into the changing room to gown up. Stowed the soup in my locker, and in-between patients, I'd run back to the locker to take several gulps of the soup.

The nurses in the OT were such darlings! Very motherly indeed, and everyone was very nice - especially the anaesthetist. Had a fun talk with him, he's a bouncy kind of guy, fun to be with. The anaesthetists here always hold the patients' hands if they are under LA .. I think it's a really good practice. It's reassuring, and the patient knows that they can get help when they need it, even if their tongues are numb. The nurses brought in very odd CDs though - one of them was a Sarah Brightman album, and right after the first (blotched) phacoemulsification, just as my supervisor finished up, Brightman ended with a protracted, dramatic soprano note, resulting in giggles round the room. Anyway I ended up watching a vitrectomy, cos the posterior capsule became damaged during the surgery, and the vitreous humour came flooding out into the front of the eye - gross.

Dinner was a much more satisfying affair, bought some groceries today. Heated up some cottage pie (5 for £4!), garlic bread, vegetable soup and orange juice. Fell asleep right after dinner, and woke at midnight. This sleep cycle is getting very nasty.

A load more troubles cropping up. Called mom up this afternoon regarding a sticky bank trouble that can only be settled after I get back, and my skin is now so parched, I got a huge patch of broken skin just above both knees. The skin cracked and it looks like I've been slashed with a scalpel many, many times. Painful. =(

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home