Of Haggis & Nessie

The chronicles of disorientation amongst the scottish brogue

Friday, May 19, 2006

So blur!

I rushed to hospital today, thinking there was a teaching at 9am. I checked my schedule and OH. It's at 1pm. Would actually have skipped the day, if not for the fact that my supervisor and the ward sister were *supposed* to be here today. Alas, no. Supervisor will be at the Royal Infirmary on Monday, so I only get to see him on Tues. Oh heck. Just spend the morning surfing the net!

Oh - and that Singaporean girl? Met her AGAIN this morning, and this time a funny thought occurred to me. According to Kirithi, there's been a new law in the UK that gives preferrential employment of doctors to the locals. That means even if you're trained as a doctor here but are not born here, you get put indefinitely in the waiting list. Which means there's a very high chance that she'll need to go back to Singapore to practice. Which means if she wants to get her MMed she'll need to be employed by a hospital. Which means ...

MUAHAHAHA. She might be a junior doctor in whichever team I'm in. Excellent. Odds of that happening ain't high, but hey it's possible.

I finally did the one last thing I never wanted to do - I called up my colleagues that are also here in Glasgow. We'll see. I have a certain suspicion that this weekend will not come to anything much, i.e. I'll never hear from them. Whatever. I'll plan out something to do then. Here's a list:

1. Top up SIM card in preparation for next week, still some credit left but I definitely don't want to end up credit-less in the middle of next week.
2. Do some shopping at Morrisons again, or M&S which is in town. Need to get emergency dinners, TV snacks and see if there's Milo here (fat hope).
3. Finalise plans for flying to Burmingham next weekend. I'm cutting it very fine. I'm still feeling extremely upset that the digital camera died on me, so when I'm in Burmingham I won't be able to do Mike's plants any justice at all.
4. Go to Buchannan bus station to buy another weekly concession bus card for £8. And while I'm there, I might visit the Buchannan Galleries right opposite, and find my way from Sauchiehall Street into Buchannan street where the fab shops supposedly are. Still very green down here, not sure of how to go to places but I'll manage. Been advised by Chris to steer away from the Eastern side of Glasgow especially at night, and I fully intend to heed his advice.
5. Do laundry. I refuse to use their laundry room, which is so messy and full of other peoples' clothes, so I've been using the sink in my room. Works very well, except on my white jeans but who cares, everyone else here is grimey. I start by soaking in hot tap water for 15 mins, then soaking in hot detergent water for 15 mins or longer. Pull out the plug, then run hot water into sink and clothes to reach an equilibrium where water from tap = water going down the sink. So what I get is constant circulation of hot water around my clothes in the sink, without the sink overflowing. Isn't that what happens in a washing machine anyway? ;) I do this automatic water swirl thing for like half hour - hey, I don't pay for the water what.
6. Figure out what to do next week, each day after work. I really can't buy any more story books, that's too much to carry home. =( Computer died = no games. SO. WTF.

Week 1 almost over - 2 more to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home